To tackle this challenge, three of the leading players in global kidney health joined together to create a world-wide competition, with a prize of US$100,000, to design the world’s first truly affordable dialysis machine. The prize is sponsored by The George Institute, the International Society of Nephrology and the Asian Pacific Society of Nephrology with the support of the Farrell Family Foundation.
The winning machine will:
• Do just as good a job as traditional dialysis machines
• Run off rechargeable batteries and solar power
• Take water from any source and purify it on the spot
• Have a target manufacturing cost of US$1,000 and low operating costs
• Meet all the standard safety requirements